What’s an In-Law Suite? A simple answer is that it’s a small apartment attached to the main house or very close to the main house. It can include not only a bed/bedroom, but also a small kitchen and its own bathroom. It’s the perfect area for comfortable living for a permanent residence or a visiting guest. It can be a remodel of an existing room such as a larger guest bedroom, a garage that doesn’t get much use, or it can be constructed from scratch. Some different names for the In-Law Suite include but aren’t exclusive to:
- Guest Cottage
- Secondary Suite
- Granny Flat
- Accessory dwelling unit (ADU)
An In-Law Suite has quite a few benefits for not only the person taking up residence but the family/friend housing them. Here are just a few benefits:
- A Lot Less Costly: Assisted living homes and nursing homes can be expensive. The cost of having your elderly family member living in the In-Law Suite is the fact that it’ll be less expensive for everyone involved plus they’ll be a lot closer so the family can keep an eye on them and help them out whenever they need it.
- More Comfortable: Moving can be extremely stressful and even more stressful when you’re moving into someplace with unfamiliar people. It’s a lot more comfortable to be around people you love and who care about you.
- No Travel Time: Whenever the family wants to visit all it takes is a short walk. No travel time needed! A great addition is if the grandparents are able to babysit the younger kids while their parents are at work. It saves a lot of money for the parents with daycare, and the grandparents get to spend lots of time with their grandchildren.
- It Could Be A Temporary Home: For family or friends who are just visiting the in-law suite is a much homier hotel for them. They have everything they need in one spot but they can be closer to who they’re visiting.